Welcome to Chicago Executive Airport (PWK)
Like most airports across our nation, Chicago Executive Airport (PWK) was once a modest grass strip created by early aviation enthusiast, in the days when airplanes were a novelty and travel by air was an uncommon luxury. In the roaring twenties the grassy 40 acre plot, with dirt and sod runways, was known as Gauthier's Flying Field.
In 1928, the field was renamed Palwaukee, after the two highways that formed its southern and eastern borders. The airport was purchased, in 1953, by George Priester who over the next 33 years expanded and developed the facility until 1986, when it was purchased by the neighboring Villages of Wheeling and Prospect Heights. Re-named Chicago Executive Airport in 2006, to more accurately reflect its regional importance, the facility now covers 411 acres and is a key building block and powerful economic engine for both communities, as well as the surrounding area.
Today, a thriving Chicago Executive Airport, serves the general and business aviation sector, and is the third busiest airport in Chicagoland, after O'Hare International and Midway. Approximately three hundred aircraft are based on the field and approximately 200,000 take-offs and landings occur annually.